Reviewing last weeks 2nd Part of 3 of our comprehensive "Flu" review.....this week - Risk factors...esp those at highest risk
Posted by Eamonn Brady on
Get the flu vaccine...not the flu! Part 2
Influenza (flu) is a highly infectious acute respiratory illness caused by the influenza virus. You can get the flu vaccination your GP surgery or local pharmacy. You can get your flu vaccine at Whelehans Pearse St and Whelehans Clonmore. For convenience you can book your flu vaccination online on the Whelehans Pharmacy website.
Those considered more “at-risk” from flu
Some people are more at risk of getting complications if they catch flu. You can get the flu vaccine for free if you:
- are 65 years of age and over
- are pregnant
- are a child aged 2 to 12 years
- are an adult or child aged 6 months or older with a long-term health condition like:
- chronic heart disease, including acute coronary syndrome
- chronic liver disease
- chronic renal failure
- chronic respiratory disease, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), cystic fibrosis, moderate or severe asthma or bronchopulmonary dysplasia
- chronic neurological disease including multiple sclerosis, hereditary and degenerative disorders of the central nervous system
- diabetes mellitus
- morbid obesity i.e. body mass index (BMI) over 40
- immunosuppression due to disease or treatment (including treatment for cancer)
- are a child with a moderate to severe neurodevelopmental disorder such as cerebral palsy
- were born with Down syndrome
- live in a nursing home or other long-term care facility
The Flu vaccine is free for healthcare workers and long term carers (i.e.) those in receipt of carers allowance
Convenient Vaccination Service at Whelehans Pharmacies
The only way to get protected from flu is by getting vaccinated. Whelehans offer flu vaccine at our Pearse St and Clonmore store most days from 8:30am daily for adults and children; For convenience you can book online on the Whelehans Pharmacy website or ring us at 04493 34591 (Pearse St) or 04493 10266 (Clonmore). It only takes a few minutes to get vaccinated. Cost €25 or €20 if you book online. It is free for over 65s, children and people with long term medical conditions and healthcare workers..
Covid-19 booster clinic at Whelehans
Whelehans Pearse St also offer a weekly walk in Covid-19 booster clinic.
What is BPro Cardio Screen Service?
BPro Cardio Screen measures artery stiffness to identify risk of blockages and cardiovascular and circulatory disease. BPRo is placed like a watch on your wrist and is pain free. A pulse wave reads and calculates a wave signal that indicates the elasticity of large, small, and peripheral artery walls as well as tests for stress, central blood pressure, heart rate, and more. It is now €35 (was €50). The next clinic is Saturday November 26th (from 9am to 5pm) at Whelehans Pearse St. Book online on the Whelehans Website or by calling Whelehans at 04493 34591.
To be continued… next week I discuss the children’s vaccine.
Disclaimer: BPro Cardio is not an alternative to medical assessment; it can indicate risk of cardiovascular events but is not a diagnosis.
Check www.hse.ie for more vaccine information. For comprehensive and free health advice and information call in to Whelehans Pharmacies, log on to www.whelehans.ie or dial 04493 34591 (Pearse St) or 04493 10266 (Clonmore).