If you're thinking about getting a cat as a pet, here's a new article from Lorraine in Pets Corner that should help you make the right decision
Posted by Lorraine Murphy on
By Lorraine Murphy, from Pet’s Corner at Whelehans Pharmacy
- Cats make perfect pets if you are out a lot during the day or night. As cats are not pack animals like dogs, they are perfectly content on their own. A cat flap is great if you are out a lot as puss can come and go – and no accidents in the house.
- Cats are incredibly clean animals. Once they are toilet trained, they rarely dirty indoors. Tom cats spray to mark territory and it has a very pungent smell. Once male cats are neutered the cat wee does not smell so bad. Neutering also stop males fighting as much and so less injuries. Neutering also help prevent some forms of cancer. It is advisable to have this procedure done by your vet at 6-8 months of age.
- Cats always seem to be attracted to the person who dislikes them most! When a person does not want a cat’s attentions they usually half turn away and half close their eyes, this is subconsciously done. The cat thinks that this is an invitation. If a cat blinks slowly at you it’s the equivalent of a kiss!
- Most cats are lactose intolerant and milk gives them diarrhoea. Only give cats water to drink.
- If you have a long-haired cat regular grooming is essential as the hair can get matted and cause sore skin if left unattended. It is important to use tick, flea and worm treatments regularly to keep your cat happy and healthy. An annual check-up with you vet is advisable and you can get the booster vaccines at the same time.
- The plus side to cats is they keep rodents out of your house. They used to say in the old days not to feed the cat a whole lot or they would not catch mice. Not true – a healthy well-fed cat will catch a lot more uninvited guests!
Whelehans Pets Corner
We introduced a ‘Pets Corner’ in Whelehans Pearse St Mullingar so we can support you with your furry best friend’s basic health needs (and your own!). Our local Veterinary Practices are the experts in animal care, so we are not bypassing the essential services our local Vets provide. Our pet lover Lorraine Murphy has thirty years of animal experience and is available if you are looking for little bits of advice on your pet at no charge, simply call in. Lorraine can help you decide if you need to bring your pet to your Vet. Lorraine explains, “our aim with our ‘Pets Corner’ is to give basic advice to pet owners, supporting them with over the counter tick, flea and worming medication”
Disclaimer: We always recommend you consult your veterinary clinic and we always refer you to your veterinary clinic when more expert advice and care is required for your pet
For health advice and information call in to Whelehans Pharmacy’s, log on to www.whelehans.ie or dial 04493 34591 (Pearse St) or 04493 10266 (Clonmore).