Current criteria for COVID-19 booster doses eff Mar 2023
Posted by Eamonn Brady on
Booster Doses of Covid-19 Vaccine
Booster vaccine doses are now being offered for COVID-19:
- Third booster - people age 65 and older, people age 12 and older with a weak immune system
- Second booster - age 18 to 49 (more details below)
- First booster - all people age 12 and older and 5 to 11 year olds with a weak immune system
Bivalent COVID-19 vaccines
New bivalent COVID-19 vaccines are now being offered as booster doses. These adapted vaccines give better protection against COVID-19, including the Omicron variant.
Third booster dose
You can get your third booster dose if you are:
- age 65
- or older age 12 or older with a weak immune system
How long to wait before getting a third booster
Wait at least 4 months since getting your last COVID-19 vaccine. If you had COVID-19, wait at least 4 months since you tested positive or from when your symptoms started.
Second booster dose
You can get your second booster dose if you are:
- age 18 to 49 - wait at least 6 months since getting your last COVID-19 vaccine or COVID-19 infection
You can still get your second booster dose if you are:
- age 50 to 64
- 12 or older with a condition that puts you at high risk of serious illness from COVID-19 - for example, diabetes, asthma or heart disease
- pregnant from 16 weeks - booster doses during pregnancy
- a healthcare worker - bring your work ID or a letter as proof of employment
- 12 or older living in a long-term care facility - this will be given where you live
If you are in one of these groups you can wait a shorter time of at least 4 months after getting your last COVID-19 vaccine or COVID-19 infection. You can check the date of your last vaccine on your digital COVID-19 certificate. If unsure, call Whelehans at 044 93 34591 and we can check for you using your PPS number. For a previous COVID-19 infection, count from when you tested positive or from when your symptoms started.
Booster COVID Vaccine available at Whelehans Pharmacy
Eligible people (over 12) can book a booster vaccine at Whelehans Pharmacy Pearse St on the Whelehans Pharmacy website or call 0449 334591 or simply call in to Whelehans weekly Wednesday walk-in clinic (9am to 6pm excluding 1pm to 2pm). Flu vaccine is also available at Whelehans Pharmacy Pearse St and Clonmore.
Thanks to the HSE for the info for this article. Information is correct in Jan 2023 and is subject to changes in Government rules.
Check www.hse.ie for more vaccine information. For comprehensive and free health advice and information call in to Whelehans Pharmacies, log on to www.whelehans.ie or dial 04493 34591 (Pearse St) or 04493 10266 (Clonmore).